Thursday 23 December 2010

Woodland Walks

I have been up to the woods near where I live a couple of times in the last few days. Although I have not seen that much wildlife the signs of animals and birds presence is very strong. Something that I found very interesting, is that with all the snow on the ground one can see where the birds have been foraging for bugs and worms. Around every tree is a circle of leaves and dirt thrown up from there digging. I don't know if this is where they would usually search for food or if it is due to the snow.

Other interesting observations included deer tracks in the snow, I followed these for a short while before I lost them amongst the tracks of other animals (Rabbits I think). I was briefly exited by a bird swooping down through the trees a distance a way. Thinking that it was a bird of pray that had just dived down on some prey I crept closer in order to see round the trees and identify the bird. As soon as I was able to spot the bird it flew away and I could see that it was a Jay.


Location: Woods near Broadhempston.

Time/Date: Between 21st and 23rd December 2010.

Weather: cold and icy. Northerly Wind Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment