Wednesday 12 January 2011

Trebah




Yesterday we went on a field trip with the uni to Trebah Gardens, an incredible place because of how the gardens are not overgrown but somehow still maintain a degree of the wild woodland feel. The place is teaming with wild life that is very used to the presence of humans. I saw lots of birds there but there were two moments that stand out for me.

The first of these was spotting a Buzzard in a tree a distance away. While trying to indicate its location to the rest of the group it took off and dived to the ground. Having caught something it flapped around before taking off again and landing on a dead stump low to the ground. It shortly took off again and flew up into a tree. An incredible bird, it was almost invisible against the bark of the tree.


The second was an encounter with a very tame Robin. We were collecting samples to photograph under a microscope and one of the many Robins around the garden was once again distracting us. I thought I would see if it would land on my hand, without food in it was not having anyting of it. However it did show a lot of interest. I found a worm placed it in my hand and held it out. Almost immediately it approached my hand and took the worm.


Location: Trebah Gardens

Time/ Date: 11th Jan 10an-3pm

Weather: overcast with sunny intervals. Strong westerly wind but sheltered in garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment