Wednesday 23 February 2011

Fulmars

I was surfing the other morning at Porthtowan, an exposed beach on the north coast with high cliffs surrounding the bay. It was a warm morning with light sea breezes which later turned into a heavy onshore westerly wind. We were in the water just after dawn (7am) . Between sets I noticed a lot of Fulmars souring and gliding over the water and around the cliffs. Watching them was amazing. I have always been fascinated by these birds that seem very similar to Albatross. I was sitting there in the water when one skimmed over a wave right next to me. I could see every detail in its feathers and its powerful beak. It soared off round the cliff and away out of sight. A beautiful moment. One of the things that I love about surfing is the way that animals see you in a different way and are not afraid in the same way it is almost as though they see you as more of a animal and not human.

Location: Porthtowan

Habitat description: steep sided high cliffs, exposed.

Map Reference: SW702472

Time/Date: 23/02/11 7am

No comments:

Post a Comment